Adolescence is a very important period in a person’s life. At this time the change or growth of the body of the teenager can be noticed. The article discusses the topic briefly.
Table of contents
- What is adolescence?
- Conflict in adolescence
- Cause of conflict
- Conflict management in adolescence
- Defense strategies in adolescent conflict management
- The importance of defense strategies in adolescent conflict management
- Social media and adolescent conflict management
What is adolescence?
Normally, adolescence is a time when a teenage boy starts to become a man and a girl starts to become a woman. Adolescence is referred to as the transition from childhood to adulthood. During this period, the physical and mental changes of a teenager begin.
Adolescence is a period of physical and psychological development that occurs between puberty and adulthood. Adolescence is commonly associated with the teenage period, but its physical, psychological, or cultural manifestations can begin earlier and end later.
At the time of adolescence, due to sudden hormonal changes, a kind of intensity of emotional ups and downs can be observed in them. According to most, the age period from 11 to 19 years is called adolescence.
Conflict in adolescence
Conflict arises when two equally strong opposite impulses or desires affect us; conflict occurs when expectations are not met; and if traditional demands and responsibilities are not met in the right way, conflict may arise.
When children enter adolescence, there may be disagreements with themselves or with parents and other members of society for various reasons which may lead to conflict; this is called conflict during adolescence or puberty.
This adolescent conflict often reorganizes family relationships and discipline, which can have social implications beyond family boundaries.
Adolescents can easily stand before the conflict between themselves and other members of the family and society around them. The boys and girls who are just entering puberty can be very shocked. They find that the people who talked to them well a few days ago; loved them; treated them well are behaving in the opposite way. On the other hand, the same scenario is experienced by the family members and the others. The family members and people outside the family who have seen the boy or girl who treated them so nicely and were gentle suddenly become irritable.
Conflict can be of two types—
- Very common conflict which does not cause any particular damage and
- Due to serious conflicts, it has the potential to be particularly harmful.
Cause of conflict
Adolescence can lead to conflicts for various reasons. Some of the notable factors responsible for this conflict are:
- Conflicts may arise when values differ in its importance.
- Conflict may arise when self-esteem is undermined and mentality grows in them.
- Differences in personality can lead to conflict.
- Adolescents tend to stick to their own opinions and decisions during adolescence; This is also a source of conflict.
- Disagreement with parents, other family members or someone in the society can lead to conflict.
The seasons behind conflict are of four types, such as—
- Dual attraction-repulsion
Conflict management in adolescence
Adolescent conflict comes in two forms, normal and harmful. Normal conflicts are identified as healthy by health experts and psychologists. Besides, this conflict of ideas also helps in the development of teenagers. On the other hand, harmful conflict can lead to danger.
Adolescent conflict can be largely controlled through conflict management. By managing the conflict of this period, as the children’s behavior can be controlled, a better future for the children can be ensured from a psychological point of view.
Defense strategies in adolescent conflict management
Here are some of the strategies used to manage conflict in a boy or a girl whose has puberty has just started:
- The inconvenience caused by the conflict may be accepted if it does not reach a harmful level.
- Parents should listen attentively and patiently to what their children want to say; and make sure that they are really listening seriously to their children.
- What the conflict is about can be discussed openly with teenagers.
- Conflicts can be prevented by creating logical situations when discussing with children.
- Maintain the same friendly behavior towards children as before adolescence.
- Efforts should be made to inculcate in the children the tendency to live together.
- Parents and other family members need to convince these adolescent children that they always want the best for them (children).
- Family members, like parents, should say that they want the best for children of this age and show it by setting an example.
- Adolescents should be treated in such a way that they consider their advice beneficial.
- Keeping children busy with specific skills can also be a defense strategy for managing adolescent conflict.
Apart from the above strategies, many other strategies can be adopted depending on the person and the situation.
The importance of defense strategies in adolescent conflict management
A teenager experiences sudden hormonal changes when puberty hits. Which, apart from his physical developmental changes, many changes are also seen in his mental health. At this time, children may be very irritable.
During adolescence, a boy or girl naturally wants to exercise their own opinions or decisions and they begin to think of themselves like other mature members of the family or society. Even though they have many limitations, they prioritize their likes and dislikes. At this time, children naturally start to think of themselves as adults.
Defense strategies are important in conflict management for several reasons, these are—
- Children can develop a proper sense of themselves.
- It is possible to develop adolescent ‘self-awareness’ through coping strategies for adolescent conflict.
- Due to defense strategies, children are often able to identify their own faults and develop new ideas and make decisions accordingly.
- Adolescent children can reduce the emotional distance between parents and others.
- Adolescent conflict management can help children develop responsibility through defense strategies. It will be a positive tool for their future living.
Social media and adolescent conflict management
What is social media?
In the Internet world, all the websites that provide opportunities for people to communicate and exchange opinions, share the history of daily activities, etc., are called social media. Social media are interactive technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, interests, and other forms of expression through virtual communities and networks. Facebook and Twitter are tow most popular social media.
The role of social media in adolescent conflict management
Nowadays social media are contributing in different ways in different areas of society. Social media have a big impact on various aspects of society, both positively and negatively.
In this era, people are largely dependent on social media to maintain social contact. And social media are used in various promotional activities; as people are closely intermingled on these platforms. Here, as different commercial organizations can run their business campaigns, non-commercial and government organizations can also run campaigns for various government and social activities. Social media can play a significant role in adolescent conflict management.
How social media can play a role in adolescent conflict management is mentioned below:
- Various campaigns can be run on social media to make everyone aware of the various problems and conflicts of adolescence so that people can gain a proper understanding of the causes of conflict and its remedies during adolescence.
- Most kids entering adolescence are now connected to social media; this opportunity can be used to promote special content or videos aimed at them. With the help of content and videos, teenagers’ habits and behavior can be changed into a positive form.
- Adolescent conflicts can be prevented by publicizing various content about the characteristics and activities of adolescence by government and non-government organizations.
- Social media authorities or other entrepreneurs can play a supportive role in adolescent conflict management through the various digital tools they have developed.
- In adolescent conflict management, people from different classes and professions can express their opinions and share their experiences, perceptions, actions, etc. to control the conflict in teenagers during adolescence.
Sudden changes in behavior during adolescence in children lead to various conflicts. This conflict often leads to losses. This is why it is important to be aware of the strategies needed for defense in this conflict management during adolescence. Also, in this age of the Internet, social media can also play a strong role in adolescent conflict management.