Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque, a historical mosque near Lalbagh Fort in Dhaka

Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque

Founder: Khan Mohammad Mirza

Location: Lalbagh, Dhaka

The Khan Mohammad Mirza Mosque is a historical mosque in Dhaka, Bangladesh, near Lalbagh Fort. Khan Mohammad Mridha, on the orders of Qadi Ibadullah, erected the mosque in Atish Khan Mahalla in 1706 CE. Because the mosque's tahkhana, or underground rooms, are above ground, the mosque rises above its surroundings. The platform on which the mosque is built is formed by the roof of the tahkhana. The airy prayer area in front of the main mosque is open in all directions, allowing the Musullis to stay cool.

A madrasa was also constructed to the north-west of the mosque. Mawlana Asadullah, the school's first teacher, taught the students fiqh, philosophy, and logic in Arabic and Persian.

Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque
Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque

The main mosque, which houses the Imam and a few Musullis, has three domes, which testify to the construction of the sixteenth century. One over the center archway and the other over the central Mihrab, there are two Persian inscriptions. According to an inscription discovered, the mosque was built by a Khan Muhammad Mirza, who could have been the architect, during the reign of Deputy Governor of Dhaka, Farrukh Siyar. During the years 1704–05 AD, a Qazi Ibadullah ordered the building.

The platform rises 16'-6" from the ground. The tahkhana has lofty spaces for dwelling. The mosque is reached by ascending twenty-five steps from the east. The mosque takes up a minor piece of the platform.

(Wikipedia)


Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque
Khan Mohammad Mridha Mosque

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post